Calcium Supplements Increase Risk of Having a Heart Attack


You might want to think twice before using calcium supplements. More is not better, synthetic is not better.

An analysis of data on nearly 24,000 people followed for over a decade suggests taking calcium supplements may increase the risk of having a heart attack. This is serious stuff. This is the main finding of a study published online this week in the journal Heart that also concludes boosting overall calcium intake through dietary sources brings no significant benefit in terms of reducing risk of heart disease or stroke.

The researchers say calcium supplements, which are often recommended to the elderly and women after  menopause to protect against bone thinning, should be "taken with caution".

The study is based on data collected on participants who were aged 35 to 64 years old between 1994 and 1998 when they joined one of the German arms of the EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition) study in Heidelberg.

At the start of the study the participants filled in questionnaires that assessed their diet for the previous 12 months, and they also answered questions about regular intake of vitamin and mineral supplements.

Their health was followed for an average of 11 years afterwards. During this time, the group experienced 354 heart attacks and 260 strokes, and 267 participants died of related causes.

When they analyzed the results, the researchers ranked them according to levels of calcium intake, and examined them from various points of view, such as calcium intake including supplements, and the effect of supplements alone. They also adjusted them to remove as far as possible effects from other known influencing factors.

They found participants with a moderate intake of calcium from all sources (820mg a day, including supplements) had a 31% lower risk of heart attack than the ones in the bottom 25% of calcium intake.

But those who calcium intake from all sources, including supplements, was higher than 1,100mg a day did not have a significantly lower risk of heart attack than the bottom intake group.


Plus, the researchers found no link between raised or lowered risk of stroke for any level of calcium intake from all sources, which they say reflects the findings of other studies.

However, when they looked at the results for supplements only, they found the participants who took calcium supplements on a regular basis had an 86% higher risk of having a heart attack than those who did not take any supplements at all.

And for participants who only took calcium supplements (that is no other vitamins or mineral supplements), this figure shot up: they had more than double the risk of having a heart attack compared with those who took no supplements at all.

The researchers conclude that their findings suggest:

"... increasing calcium intake from diet might not confer significant cardiovascular benefits, while calcium supplements, which might raise [heart attack] risk, should be taken with caution."

The study has drawn a mixed response, with some saying it adds to those that are questioning the safety of calcium supplements, and others pointing to the study's limitations and calling for further studies to corroborate the findings.

In an editorial in the same issue of the journal, Professors Ian Reid and Mark Bolland from the Faculty of Medical and Health Science at the University of Auckland in New Zealand, write that calcium supplements are "now coming under increasing scrutiny".

They refer to studies that link them to kidney stones and problems with the gut and abdominal symptoms. They also point out that while there is evidence that they reduce levels of cardiovascular risk factors, this does not actually translate into reduction in heart attacks and strokes.

Another point they make is that women who take calcium supplements to protect against bone thinning are already healthier than the women who do not, and the effect is modest anyway, around 10% only.

They say dietary calcium is helpful because it is taken in small amounts that are absorbed throughout the day, whereas supplements tend to be taken all in one go, causing blood calcium levels to spike above normal, and it is this that causes harm, they suggest.

"It is now becoming clear that taking this micronutrient in one or two daily [doses] is not natural, in that it does not reproduce the same metabolic effects as calcium in food," they write, suggesting we should discourage taking supplements to boost calcium intake.

"We should return to seeing calcium as an important component of a balanced diet, and not as a low cost panacea to the universal problem of postmenopausal bone loss," they conclude.

Natasha Stewart, Senior Cardiac Nurse with the British Heart Foundation, said while this study suggests there may be an increased risk of having a heart attack for people who take calcium supplements, it doesn't mean the supplements cause heart attacks. She told the press:

"Further research is needed to shed light on the relationship between calcium supplements and heart health. We need to determine whether potential risks of the supplements outweigh the benefits calcium can give sufferers of conditions such as osteoporosis."

Thanks for reading! What do you think?

You Might Also Like-
          

Filed under Substances to Avoid
Please leave a comment below
         ___________________________________________________________

Primal Fuel - Ultimate Low-Carb Meal Replacement

5 comments:

  1. I am not in favor of using supplements, one should always go for natural diet. Milk is good form of calcium go for it rather than these supplements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Practitioner.

    Few days ago I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know was that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must
    share to all patient of [herpes virus] in the world. i
    never believed that their could be any complete
    cure for  herpes virus .Mrs JANE introduce me to Dr
    Aluda a herbal doctor who lives in Africa who
    brought her back to life again. so i had to try it
    too and you cant believe that in just few weeks i
    started using the herbal medicine he sent to me i
    was perfectly ok and . Right now i can tell you
    that few months now i have not had any
    symptoms of virus and i have just went for
    text last week and the doctor confirmed that
    there is no trace of any herpes virus in my body
    system. Glory be to God for leading me to this
    genuine Dr Aluda I am so happy as i am
    sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who
    thinks that there is no cure for HERPES virus that is
    Not true ,just contact him and get cure from Dr
    Aluda via his Whatsapp +2348145636867 or Email Draludaharbalhome @gmail. com and you will be free and free
    forever, Try it and you will not regret it because
    it truly works. One thing i have come to realize
    is that you never know how true it is until you
    try... Email him via: Draludaharbalhome @gmail. com...
    THIS IS THE TYPE OF HERBAL MEDICATION HE
    HAVE
    1 Cancer
    2 Hiv
    3 Low sperm count
    4 Barrenness
    5 Hvp
    6 Herpes
    7 Genital Wart
    8 Rare disease
    9 Hepatitis
    10 Syphilis
    11 Diabetes
    God bless you sir for your good work....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely well-written article. It was an awesome article to read. Complete rich content and fully informative
    For sofa repair service contact thesofastore they gives
    Best Sofa Repair Services in Rajajinagar

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have kids who are 25 and under and are wondering how they are going to take care of their health insurance, you are in the right place. Quite possibly your child, or young adult is just starting out in life, is college bound or getting out of college, and bouncing between jobs, better and worse jobs, especially in this economy. He has no idea how and where to get proper health insurance to protect himself financially. Many jobs do not offer insurance, colleges demand it, and health coverage insurance prices keep going up... anavar buy

    ReplyDelete