Turmeric is packed with loads of benefits and today, scientists are also substantiating this fact with research to prove it.
Turmeric has been used in India since time immemorial for skin care. Among the many herbs that are beneficial for skin, turmeric stands out as the golden standard, both literally and figuratively, for its ability to address a wide range of skin concerns. Also known by the botanical name of curcuma longa, turmeric has been hailed for its ability to cure acne, reduce hyperpigmentation, brighten the skin, and fight free radical damage. Western medicine has just begun to take notice, and this ancient Ayurvedic spice is all set to become a star skin care ingredient of the future.
Beauticians the world over are waking up to the amazing benefits of turmeric and it’s also being incorporated in beauty products. What’s wonderful about turmeric is that it’s easily available and you can use it in different ways using ingredients that are available right in your own house.
If you are able to procure pure turmeric powder, you can use it in many ways to add glow to your skin.
- Skin Pigmentation Turmeric helps you reduce pigmentation on your face and even out your skin tone. It can be easily done at home. Mix a little turmeric with cucumber or lemon juice and apply to your face. Leave it for some time and wash off. A one-time application will be of little help and only regular use will give a soft glow to your face.
- Acne turmeric has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. It is a beauty ingredient that is harmless and yet offers great results. Turmeric by itself, or mixed with sandalwood powder and a little water, and applied to the face can greatly reduce the appearance of acne.
- Exfoliator Here’s a great idea for an all over body scrub. Mix some turmeric with flour and water and use it to scrub all over your body before your shower. Doing this regularly will indeed help you get a glowing skin. Ask any bride in India and she will affirm that this is the beauty regimen that they dutifully follow weeks before their wedding to get a spotless skin.
- Stretch Marks If you’ve wondered how stretch marks can be avoided, try applying a mixture of turmeric with yogurt to the abdomen and then wipe it off after five minutes. If you continue this regularly, it will help in maintaining the elasticity of the skin and prevent stretch marks.
- Skin Problems Turmeric has also been dubbed the wonder product because of its ability to fight free radicals. This excellent anti-oxidant is known to help prevent various diseases as well as cancer. In fact, turmeric is one of the best known remedies used to reduce the recovery time of various skin afflictions that are caused by chicken pox etc. Turmeric helps in reducing skin rashes as well.
- Reduce Hair Growth For those who want to reduce the hair growth on their face, turmeric again comes to the rescue. Regular washing with turmeric reduces facial hair growth significantly.
- Cuts & Bruises Grandmothers in India often prefer to apply a paste of turmeric to minor cuts, bruises and bumps as it reduces the swelling just as an ice pack would do, without the discomfort. Its various antiseptic properties are perfect for using it for minor cuts, wounds and abrasions and it helps in quickening the healing process.
- Burns If you’ve accidentally burnt your hand in the kitchen, here’s a quick remedy to ease the burn. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with some aloe gel and apply to the burn.
- Wrinkles If you are developing wrinkles, you should use turmeric on daily basis. A new study suggests that turmeric works very well at diminishes wrinkles and fine lines.
As you’ve probably figured out by now, turmeric is not only excellent for applying on the skin but it has a host of wonderful benefits if you ingest it as well. I will be doing an article soon on the benefit of eating turmeric.
It is one of nature's most powerful healers. Turmeric is a plant having various human friendly properties such as antimicrobial, antiseptic and antioxidant properties. It is widely used for various skin ailments and skin care products.
Click on the photos for more information