All the Different Types of Retinoids. Which One is Best For You?




There are different types of retinoids and different products with each type of retinoid as an active ingredient.

Retinol, retinaldehyde, adapalene, tretinoin, isotretinoin, and tazarotene are all various forms of retinoids. It can get pretty confusing but this list will hopefully clarify things:

From weakest to strongest.



Retinol           
Retinaldehyde

(or retinal, vitamin A aldehyde)  
Adapalene

(synthetic retinoid)
Tretinoin

(or retinoic acid)
Tazarotene

(synthetic retinoid)
  • Tazorac - 0.1% gel or cream
  • Avage - 0.1% cream
  • Zorac
    • 0.05% and 0.1% gel
    • 0.05% and 0.1% cream
Isotretinoin

(synthetic tretinoin)
As you can see from the above list, retinoids are available in various brands (different companies, brand names, generics), types (retinol, tretinoin), concentrations (0.25%, 0.1%), and formulations (gel, cream). Most retinoids are natural, but some are synthetic. Some retinoids are available at the drug store, while others you can only get at the doctor's office. All of these factors influence the strength and effectiveness of each type of retinoid.

How are the types of retinoids different?
 

Retinol and retinaldehyde are available over-the-counter. The rest of the retinoids are only available through prescriptions, though some online pharmacies (Canadian, Indian, or otherwise) offer various generic versions without one. You usually need a doctor's prescription to legally order a generic of a brand name prescription product, but different online pharmacies operate under different policies, especially if they are in other countries.

Tazarotene is the strongest retinoid, while retinol is the weakest. The strength of a retinoid depends on the type of retinoid. Your skin is only able to use a retinoid when it's in retinoic acid form. Therefore, all types of retinoids are converted to this state by your skin before it can even be used. How does this have anything to do with a retinoid's strength? Allow me to explain.

When you apply a retinoid product that is retinoic acid (ex. Retin-A), your skin is able to use it immediately because it's already in the proper form. However, if you use a product with retinol, the retinol first has to be converted into retinaldehyde and then the retinaldehyde has to be converted to retinoic acid before your skin can use it. Therefore, retinol is weaker than retinaldehyde and retinaldehyde is weaker than retinoic acid. Retinol is the weakest because it takes your skin two extra steps for it to be converted to retinoic acid before it can be utilized. For each converstion step, there is also uncertainty as to how much active product was actually converted in the oxidation process. Therefore, the fewer the conversions to get to retinoic acid, the stronger the retinoid.

Aside from the type of retinoid, each individual product also has its own individual retinoid concentrations. For example, Retin-A comes in 0.025%, 0.05%, and 0.1% formulations. The 0.025% would be the weakest version of Retin-A, while the 0.1% would be the strongest. The formulation of the retinoid also has a factor in its strength, but you can read more about the difference between gel and cream vehicles here. It might also be helpful to familiarize yourself with how natural and synthetic retinoids are different.


So, which type of retinoid is the best?

Deciding on which type of retinoid and which percentage strength is best for you will depend on how your skin tolerates the retinoid. Generally, you go with the strongest retinoid you can tolerate with the least amount of irritation, even if that retinoid is considered weak. If your skin can't handle tazarotene, there's no reason to subject it to Tazorac. The irritation would far outweigh the benefits.

Most dermatologists initially prescribe Differin for acne because it is the gentlest one out of all the prescription retinoids. However, if Differin isn't strong enough for you, you could try moving up to Retin-A. If you feel Retin-A isn't doing a good job, you could then give Tazorac a try. It takes trial-and-error to figure out which retinoid is best for you.

Things can get pretty confusing because there are so many different types of retinoids, percentages, and product formulations. Some retinoids are also used for acne treatments, while others target anti-aging. Dermatologists always have lots of samples, so make sure you test some retinoids out for a few weeks before purchasing the real thing. Having lots of patience and using retinoids the right way is the key to finding the best type of retinoid for your skin.

Thanks for reading! What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I have just visited to your website and i am super happy while reading active ingredient. Please keep updating us with your point of view.

    A Ret Gel | Differin Gel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am from New York. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been
      diagnosed tinnitus ringing ears with … I though about my Family, I know my Family will
      face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one
      day I was surfing the Internet I found Dr. Emmanuel contact number. I called him
      and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my
      health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Emmanuel herbal
      medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr. Emmanuel and very happy with my hubby and
      family. email him on traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com OR contact his whatsapp number:
      +2348140033827
      DOCTOR EMMANUEL CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
      1. HIV/AIDS
      2. HERPES
      3. CANCER
      4. ALS
      5. DIABETES
      6. HEPATITIS  

      Delete
  2. Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Skin Care - 100% Pure - 1oz-Cosmedica Skincare
    Looking for a healthy and balance glow to your skin? Hyaluronic Acid Serum is formulated to give your skin the radiant glow and softness one is looking for.
    http://www.cosmedica-skincare.com/products/copy-of-hyaluronic-acid-serum-100-pure-1oz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone have any good treatments for acne? I've tried everything, even ProActiv. It worked, until after a couple months, I guess my skin got use to it or something.
    Retinol face cream

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Hector Colin,i just want to share my testimony with the world on how Doctor Trust Help me to enlarge my pines. Please read my good news carefully and i am sure it will affect your life positively on how you will also enlarge your pines,because i know some many people out there also need his help!

    I came across so many comments about Dr Trust Penis Enlargement Medicine some weeks ago, though I had really wanted my penis to be large, long and thick,because i was not able to have sex with my wife..It was really affecting our marriage and my wife was about to divorce me. I had about 3.7cm – 3.2 inches before. Am really amazed on the fast results archived within 14 days of using Dr. Trust Penis Enlargement Medicine. It work and now I have got 22.87cm – 10.5 inches now. And my wife love it more now, i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, This went on for a little period of about 5 days and to my surprise my wife keeps screaming that she love my big dick now. And my penis is now 10.5 inches long on erection and off course very large round. I am very happy for this Penis Enlargement experience. He can help with all kinds of cure you may need as flows:

    Pines Enlargement
    Low sperm count
    Weak Erection
    Love spell
    Herpes spell
    HIV spell
    Pregnancy spell
    Marriage for spell
    cancer
    watering sperm
    womb fertilization
    penis erection
    witch craft attack
    s t d diseases
    internal heat
    rashes
    low sperm count
    dairy
    long time sickness
    kidney,heart,lungs,problem
    with doctor,Dr. Trust you are in safe hands your healing is assured

    Email:Ultimatecurecenter@yahoo.com
    Web site: https://ultimatecurecenter.wixsite.com/dr-trust
    Call or WhatApp him +2348156885231

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete