One of the most popular anti aging substances known is L-carnosine. It is a natural dipeptide consisting of the amino acids beta-alanine and L-histidine.
L-carnosine (not to be confused with L-carnitine) is naturally present in all body cells. Its concentration decreases with age, and its decrease is intimately linked with the aging process. It is commercially available under the name of Endymion, or "the fountain of youth".
It has a rejuvenating effect on all cells, is one of the strongest anti-oxidants known, and is a true blessing for the skin. Carnosine helps to prevent skin collagen cross-linking which leads to loss of elasticity and wrinkles, macro-molecular disorganization, and loss of extra cellular matrix. It also rejuvenates each cell of the skin and subcutaneous tissues, and is therefore a most valuable antiaging agent.
It helps the entire body, not only the skin, and it is therefore a more holistic approach than applying l-carnosine containing creams on the skin only.
L-Carnosine is a natural body product consisting of the amino acids Beta-alanine and L-histidine chemically bound to each other. Nerve cells (neurons) and muscle cells (myocytes) contai n high levels of L-Carnosine. L-Carnosine is not a drug, vitamin or mineral and it does not react with any drugs. You are born with high levels of L-Carnosine in your body but unfortunately it decreases with age.
L-Carnosine is the most effective anti-carbonylation agent yet discovered. (Carbonylation is a pathological step in the age-related degradation of the body's proteins.) L-Carnosine helps to prevent skin collagen cross-linking which leads to loss of elasticity and wrinkles.
It also acts as a regulator of zinc and copper concentrations in nerve cells, helping to prevent overstimulation by these neuroactive minerals. What is known about the biological role of L-Carnosine in the body substantiates all of the above and other studies have indicated further benefits.
L-Carnosine is a Super Antioxidant that quenches even the most destructive free radicals: the hydroxyl and peroxyl radicals, superoxide, and singlet oxygen. Carnosine helps to chelate ionic metals (flush toxins from the body).
When taken as a natural health supplement Carnosine protects and extends the functional life of the body’s key building blocks - cells, proteins, DNA and lipids.
Long-lived cells such as nerve cells, called neurons, and muscle cells, called myocytes, naturally contain high levels of L-Carnosine and these muscle levels of L-Carnosine correlate exactly with maximum life spans.
Studies on the rejuvenating effects of L-Carnosine have shown:
- Antioxidant: Carnosine effectively quenches the most destructive of free radicals, the hydroxyl radical, as well as superoxide, singlet oxygen, and the peroxyl radical.
- Cell Rejuvenation: Carnosine has the remarkable ability to actually rejuvenate cells approaching senescence (the end of the life cycle of dividing cells), restoring normal appearance and extending their cellular life span.
- Wound Healing: Carnosine has the amazing ability to rejuvenate connective tissue cells and thus to expedite wound healing.
- Brain Protection: Carnosine protects the microvasculature of the brain from plaque formation that may lead to senility and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improved Calcium Response: Carnosine enables the heart muscle to contract more efficiently through enhancement of calcium response in heart myocytes.
- Cellular DNA Protection: Carnosine protects cellular DNA from oxidative damage that accumulates with age.
- Skin Protection: Carnosine helps prevent skin collagen cross-linking which leads to loss of elasticity, wrinkles, macro-molecular disorganization, and loss of extra cellular matrix.
Click the images for more information