Proof That the Sun Does Indeed Cause Skin Damage




Published in the New England Journal of Medicine, this man's face, especially the left side (which received more sun), is possibly the most compelling argument for wearing sunscreen. Every day, all day, and lots of it (but also being conscious of vitamin D levels). If anyone every doubted that the sun causes skin damage, here is proof right here that it does, especially for individuals who may be more sensitive to the sun's damaging rays.

Read on to find out exactly why the left side of the man's face is dramatically more aged.

What happened to this man’s face?

This man is Billy McElligott a 69-year-old truck driver, making his living behind the wheel for the past 28 years. Half of his face looks normal for his age, but because he spent daytime hours with the sun to his left for nearly three decades, the left side of his face looks decades older.

The name for his condition is unilateral dermatoheliosis (one-sided photoaging). Driving with the sun beating down on his face and arm exposed the patient to damaging UVA rays for hours each day, just as if he had been lying on a beach with that skin exposed. Even with the window closed, UVA rays can penetrate window glass if not tinted enough to protect passengers inside the vehicle.

The doctor's orders for McElligott? Sun protection, topical retinoids, and skin cancer monitoring. Car windows can also be tinted to protect against harmful UV rays.

How dangerous is one-sided photoaging?

Sun worshippers pay a price for enjoying those drives in the sunshine, experts say. Researchers at the University of Washington studied cancer cases tracked by the U.S. government. Their findings, published in the American Academy of Dermatology, showed that when melanoma affected one side of a person’s body, it was on the left side—the driver’s side—52 percent of the time. Merkel cell cancers, another type of skin cancer, appeared on the left side in 53 percent of cases.

This isn’t the first evidence that motoring in the sun might be linked to skin cancer. A 2010 study of 1,047 skin cancer patients at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine, published in the same journal, came to the same conclusion: in both men and women, more skin cancers were found on the left side of the body than the right. And in Australia, where people drive on the right-hand side of the road, drivers’ right arms and right sides of their faces get the sun exposure. A 1986 study found that a majority of precancerous growths among Australian men occurred on their right sides.

Does tinted glass protect us?

Tinting window glass does afford some protection; compared to untinted glass, it admits 3.8 percent fewer UVA rays. The most protective color is gray, which admits only 0.9 percent of UVA light, compared to 62.8 percent of UVA light admitted through clear glass. (UVB rays don’t penetrate glass to a dangerous degree.)

But tinted glass can pose visibility issues. “People who are considering tinting their windows should take their car to a professional auto detailing shop, in order to ensure that the tinting meets the federally mandated 70 percent of minimum visible light transmittance through the windshield,” advises the American Academy of Dermatology. Auto glass tinting can be regulated by state law, and professional detailers will be aware of those guidelines.

Thanks for reading! What do you think?

You Might also Like-
       

Filed under Beauty and General Health
Please leave a comment below
           ________________________________________________________

Murad Resurgence Anti-aging

9 comments:

  1. Really nice. And if you are looking for the best services can get benefit by looking at our Car Wash Services in Mumbai | Car Spa at Doorstep in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valuable and benefitting information. Nothing is more important for anyone than staying healthy. Men should also be beauty conscious as much as women do. God has gifted beauty to both the genders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heal my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like,HIV,Epilepsy Infertility, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Prostate Cancer,Blood Cancer,Lung Cancer,Brain Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover. Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a ton for finding the time to line all of this out for us. This kind of posting has been quite helpful if you ask me.
    instagram viewer

    ReplyDelete

  7. Hi! I really like your content. Your post is really informative. I have learned a lot from your article and I’m looking forward to apply it.
    ignou assignment 2018
    ignou solved assignment free

    ReplyDelete

  8. thanks for providing finance project for mbasuch a great article, finance topics for mba projectthis article is very help full for me, a lot of thanks sir Ignou Synopsis
    fst 01 solved assignment 2019

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete